Sunday, January 19, 2014

It's Not About Me

I mean, this is a really important question: should
I be spinning 2 or 3 times a week??!?
I’ve been spending a lot of time in my head lately.  Sometimes, it’s not a safe place.  Sometimes, it’s a one-way ticket to Crazy Town.

I have NOTHING to wear to this birthday party (as 14 perfectly capable dresses lay on my bed).   

Maybe I should take spinning 3 times a week instead of 2.   

How many likes did my post get on Facebook? 

If I don't accept this new client, how am I going to pay for my Europe vacation?

Me me me me me.

I always remember the first time I read the opening line of Rick Warren’s Purpose Driven Life: 

“It’s not about you.” BOOM.

I recall thinking, Waaaaait a second. WHAT?!?!

I was reminded by two quotes in my journal of all places, that maybe I needed to take a little vacation from My Head. (Side note: my journal is really special and has magical powers.  No joke.  But that’s a story for a different time).

“Life is not easy for any of us.  But what of that?  We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves.  We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”  Marie Curie

“Each of you has received a gift to use to serve others.  Be good servants of God’s various gifts of grace.” 1 Peter 4:10 NIV

This world can make it pretty easy for me to think I’m the most important person in the universe.  (Please don’t misunderstand, I’m all for self-love and self-care.  I journal, take long walks, have a massage club membership and own 4 kinds of bath salts).

What am I doing about this little predicament?  I'm listening to the little nudges in my journal. I decided to get out of my head, and get out there and serve. So I signed up for two upcoming volunteer events.  

It's a start.  

1 comment:

  1. I love it and agree! Serving others certainly helps us get out of OUR world doesn't it? :) I love it.. so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete