Thursday, January 30, 2014

I Like Cookies

The site of the now-famous "Two Cookies" incident.
My dad asked me yesterday if I’ve always been a writer.

Geez.  I’m a little insulted he didn’t remember my award-winning kindergarten haiku that went something like this:

I want a cookie
Oh cookie
I love you

This was inspired by a true story: my mom was called to my kindergarten class because I was only supposed to have 1 cookie, but I lied that I had dropped my cookie so I could have two. 

Teacher: Kalei lied about dropping her cookie.  We’re very concerned.
Mom: Um, I think she just wanted another cookie. 

Love you, mom.

Most recently, I had a dessert blog*.  Which let me tell you, for someone who loves food, had an eating disorder, and was a self-described Sugar Addict, I’ll go ahead and chalk this up to The Worst Idea I’ve Ever Had.  

But it was kinda fun.  I elevated dessert eating to a fine art.  In fact, I made it a full-time job.  And at the time, I was living in New York City, so holy sugar rush, I had deliciously dangerous options at every corner.  (Shout out to my homies at Levain Bakery, Sugar & Plumm and Momofuku Milk Bar.  I will be back.  Oh yes, I will be back).   

However, I just recently reconnected with writing, which I sorta forgot was a passion of mine.  And it’s funny because now, I. Can’t. Stop.  I’m seriously vomiting all over you nice people every day with the crazy chatter in my head.

It’s been cathartic.  It’s been scary.  It’s been wonderful. It’s been downright terrifying.  I mean, I’ve always been a pretty private person, and now this?  I’m definitely a dive-headfirst-into-the-pool kinda girl.

But I have to tell you, the scariness of sharing crazy, kooky me is far outweighed by what I’ve gained. (Seriously, Kooky is one of my nicknames.  I have like 14 different ones that range from Loolies to Cassius but this is one of my favorites cause it’s awfully fitting). 

Because being honest and authentic--there is so much freedom here.

I wish I had figured this out sooner.  It would have been nice to have this freedom a long time ago.  But my dad told me recently that he wished he had learned everything I’m learning at my age.  So I guess I have no regrets.  Everyone learns, or chooses not to, in their own time. 

Here’s my biggest lesson to date: I’m so grateful. For the people and experiences God has hand-picked and placed in my life.  For everything he has shown me and continues to show me.  My journey hasn’t always been easy, but all in all, it’s been quite an amazing ride.

And I have a funny feeling the best is yet to come.



*If you’d like to read some of my disturbingly obsessive dessert stories, you can check it out here: www.dessertmakemeinsanelyhappy.blogspot.com.  You’ve been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment