Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The 10 Most Important Life Rules


I'm the Best Aunt Ever.  Not only do they know how to eat peanut
butter out of the jar, and lick cupcake batter from the spatula,
they now know how to take Selfies! Hooray!

I love celebrating my birthday, and this year was no exception.  Something magical (read: scary) happens and I turn into a wide-eyed, playful little kid.  

I seriously-no-joke-scout’s-honor threw myself a Pretty Pink Princess Party last weekend, which may have included wearing princess crowns while eating cookies and watching chick flicks.

Celebrating in one city wasn’t enough, so I then made my way down to San Diego to spend some time with my impossibly adorable nieces.  I LOVE my nieces, but my adoration kicked into overdrive after this conversation:

Alyssa, age 3: Kalei, how old are you gonna be?
Me: Guess.
Alyssa: (confused look) Like, 24?
Ella, age 5: or 29?

God bless these beautiful children. 

The truth is, I just turned 37. I share this because I feel pretty darn good about it, and oddly, 37 has always been a lucky number for me (it’s a long and stupid story).  

I just have this feeling that this year will be a Big Year for me in many ways.  So I’ve been thinking about how I want to live this year differently, and with intention.  

So I created a To Do list (I like lists).   

Here My 10 Most Important Life Rules:
  1. Be present.  God is giving you little lessons all the time.  Look for them.
  2. Be real.  But don’t confuse honesty with being an a-hole.
  3. Be kind.  Especially to yourself.  
  4. Be loving.  Especially the ones who are hard to love. 
  5. Don’t judge.  Especially the ones you think you know—you don’t. 
  6. Serve. This is the best way to get out of your head and use your heart.
  7. Take risks and make mistakes.  Learn from them. 
  8. Make good choices.  In your health, career, and love. 
  9. It’s all gonna be ok.  Trust.
  10. Seek God.  With all your heart, mind and soul.
There are so many sayings that in my wise old age, I can now honestly say, I get it.  Something I've always said but now fully believe: Everything happens for a reason.  It's not just a pat response to things I don’t understand.  God has a wonderful plan for me, and there may be times (many, many times) when I don't understand why something is happening, but I trust wholeheartedly that it's part of My Plan.  

These last few years have been quite a roller coaster- so many ups and downs.  Sometimes I was brave, and sometimes I wasn't. Sometimes I faced adversity with a smile, sometimes with tears.  But as I sit here, unsure of what the future holds, I have such a peace that it’ll be ok.  And that it's ok right now, too. 

Life is a crazy ride. And I’m all in. 


You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29:13

No comments:

Post a Comment