Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Stressed Beyond Belief



Ahhhh....a gorgeous sunset will always 
turn my day around. 

Something very interesting happened last week (and by interesting, I mean terrifying). 

What happened? This Type-A-I-Can-Do-It-All Wonder Woman decided she could handle 15 gigantic tasks, all at the same time.   They were ALL urgent (we're #1!), required my immediate attention (NOW, lady, NOW!), and nothing could be dropped (hey-I’m no quitter!)

Except I couldn’t handle it all.  

In the middle of the night, I awoke to a raaaaaaacing heart.  Unfortunately, this pounding-heart-is-that-an-earthquake-oh-no-that’s-just-me sensation was terrifyingly familiar because it occurred frequently during my divorce.  In other words, one of the most traumatic times of my life.  

I needed to address my stress, so I quickly implemented Operation Stop Freaking Out:
  1. Breathe. 
  2. Pray. Hard.
  3. Reach out to friends and ask them to pray for me. 
  4. Make a list of everything on my mind (this whole Type A thing can come in handy too) 
Scanning the list of All The Ridiculous Things I Committed To made it abundantly clear why I was anxious—I was drowning in an ocean of Yesses. 

And something had to give.  Though I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what.  

In that moment, I realized I had a choice: Continue being Stressed Beyond Belief, or…not.  

Huh.   

When I looked at the situation from this new angle, my choice became simple.

I said no to being overwhelmed, and I said yes to me.

Looking back, I’m happy that I started to unravel. 

Because sometimes, in my quest to do it all, I lose myself.  And since I’m incredibly stubborn, I needed a shocking wake up call to inspire change. 

So today, I’m remembering that it's ok to say no.  

And to breathe.    

*How do you de-stress?  I'd love to hear from you, please share in the comments below.*

If we want things about our lives to change, we have to change the way we use the two most powerful words: yes and no. -Lysa TerKeurst

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth  I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.  I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.  - Psalm 61:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment